You might be wondering what a car locksmith is and why you need one. Well, we’re here to answer all of that and more! In this guide, we’ll cover everything from what a car locksmith does to how much it might cost you. We’ll even help you choose the best car locksmith for you. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride!
What Are Locksmiths
Before we go through what car locksmiths are we should first define what a locksmith is and their certain types. A locksmith is a person who can open locks. They do everything you need to do with a lock: they can install, repair, replace and rekey them. They’ll also make you a new key if you’ve lost yours or want a spare for your home or car.
A locksmith is a person you call when you’ve locked yourself out of your car or home. Or when someone has stolen your keys. They can also help with any other lock-related problems you have. Such as, installing new locks, changing the key for an existing lock, and more.
Types of Locksmiths
Locksmiths can specialize in the type of lock they work on:
- Car locksmiths are the ones who cut keys and repair broken locks on cars. They also have special tools to help them break into locked cars when you’ve lost your keys.
- House locksmiths specialize in installing and repairing door locks, including deadbolts, padlocks, knob sets, and other types of hardware. They may also offer key duplication services for you.
- Commercial locksmiths install high-security lock systems for businesses such as banks or hotels. These places need extra protection from people trying to break in for financial gain or theft purposes. These professionals may also help with replacing lost keys for employees within a company. This is so that it doesn’t affect business operations negatively while waiting for replacements from another source.
- Emergency locksmiths pretty much do everything that warrants emergency locksmith services but they can do it as soon as you need it. They will meet you where you need it if it covers their service area. They can do it at any hour even if it means that it happens at midnight or at odd hours.
What Is a Car Locksmith
Car locksmiths are specialists who can unlock your car in case you lose your keys. Or, if the lock on your vehicle gets damaged. These experts also repair and replace car keys, as well as help people with alarm systems on their cars.
Car locksmiths can help you with a variety of different services. Some of these are, unlocking your car, rekeying, and replacing broken car keys. Read the next section to find out what situations will make you need one.
Why Would I Need a Car Locksmith?
You would need a car locksmith if:
- You have lost your keys and are unable to get into your vehicle.
- You have locked your keys in the car or can’t start it.
- Your key is stuck in the ignition or broken in half, making it impossible to turn the key.
- The door won’t open even with a spare key that you know works on other doors. This may be caused by a broken tumbler.
- The remote is missing altogether. This makes operating the locks difficult, if not impossible. Especially without having access to an electronic device that can communicate with them remotely.
- You need duplicate keys for your car. This can be done in a variety of ways, including using moldings of the original key.
- You need to replace the locks on your car or have new ones installed. Especially if you want to upgrade the security system of your vehicle.
- Your damaged locks need fixing or your locks need to be repaired. Especially when they are stuck or broken. This is often covered by insurance companies, so check with yours to see what they’ll do in this situation.
- When you need to add transponders (also called remote controls). So only authorized people can start up their engines, and alarm systems that include automatic locking and unlocking, as well as remote starting options.
How Do I Choose a Good Car Locksmith?
Choosing a good car locksmith is a bit like choosing a dentist. You want to find someone who can provide quality service and keep your teeth in good shape for years to come.
Although, when it comes to finding a car locksmith, this task is even more difficult than picking out dental care! There are so many companies out there offering different services. It’s hard to know which one will work best for you. To help make the process easier, we’ve put together some tips on how you can select an excellent candidate for your needs.
We’ve all been there: you’re rushing to get to work, or maybe even worse—a meeting with a client—and then you realize that your car door is locked and you can’t get in. What do you do?
Well, if you’re in Las Vegas, NV, and need a car locksmith, we can help. Below are some easy steps for finding the perfect person to assist you with any locking mechanism issues on your vehicle.
Find out exactly what they can do
The most important thing to do is to make sure you know exactly what they can do. If you don’t understand what the locksmith can or cannot do, then neither of you will be happy with the result. Ask them if they can help with your specific problem. Also, ask if they have experience in this area before hiring them.
You can call their previous customers before hiring them. Ask about their insurance coverage as well. Some locksmiths carry more than one type of insurance policy while others don’t carry any at all.
Hire a car locksmith with the right credentials and insurance
To find a good car locksmith, you should check for the following credentials and insurance:
- Licenses. Make sure the company has the right licenses to operate in your state. You can check with your state’s Department of Consumer Affairs or Public Utilities Commission to ensure that they’re legit.
- Insurance. Find out whether or not the locksmiths at your chosen company are covered by workers’ compensation and general liability insurance policies. As well as bond coverage for any damage caused during their work on your vehicle.
- Reputation, track record, and trustworthiness of all employees working with customers directly (as opposed to salespeople who just answer phones).
Ask for family and friends’ recommendations
The best way to find a good locksmith is by asking people you know and trust. Ask them to recommend someone they have used before, ask if they were happy with the service, and ask them to tell you about their experience. If they would use the same locksmith again, then it’s likely that person is good at what they do.
If you’re not sure where to start, check reviews. There are millions of people who have used their services and can give you a recommendation. Also, check out your local locksmith association as well.
Start searching everywhere for proof of authenticity
Search their website and social media profiles
If you find a locksmith with a poorly designed site, or no website at all, that’s not a good sign. You’ll also want to check out whether they have reviews on sites like Yelp and Google Reviews.
Find out what kind of equipment they use
Check if the company uses key-cutting machines or if they still use old-fashioned methods such as filing down keys by hand (which can be very expensive).
Make sure they have an address listed somewhere
It doesn’t need to be in big letters on top of every page, though it should be easy enough to find online.
Check their hours of operation as well as any special services (for example: 24-hour service)
Sometimes con artists wouldn’t have a lot of details to give when you ask them. You will know if they seem fishy or not based on how they provide these details.
Check for reviews online
When you’re seeking a locksmith, you’ll want to check for reviews from previous customers. This can be done by contacting the local Better Business Bureau to see if there have been any complaints made against the company in question. You can also do your own review research by searching for comments on independent sites like Yelp, as well as popular review sites like Google Reviews. The same goes for social media platforms—check Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for comments about the company.
Get a quote in writing
When you decide it’s time to hire a locksmith, be sure to get a written quote before they begin work. The locksmith should provide a breakdown of their fees and ask if any parts are needed before they start working on your car. They should also explain what options are available for you during the process and then provide an estimate of how long the job will take.
Don’t pay upfront. Always ask for payment to be done after the work is completed and the price has been confirmed in writing by all parties involved (i.e., customer + locksmith). This protects both parties from potential scams or misunderstandings regarding services rendered, who did what, when payment was accepted/refused, etc.
Don’t overpay for a car locksmith
It’s important to know what you’re paying for, and the best way to do that is to shop around. A lot of locksmiths charge a flat fee for services, which can be fine if you’re not sure exactly how much something will cost. But it’s always better to get an estimate first so you can tell what’s reasonable and what isn’t. If your locksmith won’t give an estimate over the phone, don’t use them!
Be wary of picking car locksmiths that don’t meet these requirements
Make sure that the locksmith you choose is legally registered, insured, and experienced. You don’t want to end up in a situation where the person you pick is not qualified or has been arrested for fraud before. You also don’t want them coming over to your house when it’s late at night or early in the morning and them ending up being con artists. Yikes!
There are so many things that can go wrong when it comes down to dealing with a car lockout situation that we thought we’d put together these recommendations so that no matter what happens during this stressful event, at least one thing will remain constant: You’ll know exactly which questions, criteria (and answers) will help keep everyone safe!
How Much Would Some Car Locksmith Services Cost?
The price of a new key depends on several factors. The make and model of your car will have an impact on the cost, as will whether you need a transponder key or if your ignition cylinder requires replacement.
If you’re looking at replacing an existing ignition cylinder, be prepared to spend more money than if you’d simply purchased a new one. In addition, some cars require an external part that needs to be ordered separately when replacing the inside components can cost more than $100 each! Prices will depend on the area you’re in and the locksmith so make sure to ask them.
The price of a new ignition cylinder will depend on the make and model of your car. For example, if you have a Ford Taurus, it’s possible to replace the ignition cylinder for about $200. However, if you’re looking at replacing an existing transponder key, expect to pay more than double that amount.
If you have a Honda, the price of replacing an ignition cylinder will depend on whether it’s just the inner part or if there’s also an external component that needs to be ordered. If you’re looking at replacing only the inside component, expect to pay about $100 to $200.
SoS Locksmith Las Vegas
We hope that this information will help you learn more about Car locksmiths and also how to choose a good one for you. We understand that it can be hard to know who is the right one for you, but we have found that the best solution is to go with someone who has experience in this field, and has been recommended by others. If possible ask for referrals from family members or friends before making a decision on who to call out in emergency situations like when your keys get locked inside.
Remember, there are many bad apples out there, so it’s critical that you do your research before hiring someone. If you follow the tips above, then it should be easy for you to find a good one who can help with any issues with your vehicle.
Call SoS Locksmith Las Vegas if you need a car locksmith you can trust.